Join your friends–and make new ones–as Paula Gorgoglione and Karen Lawrence lead walks along the Greenway.
Walks are sponsored by the Franklin Bird Club. Call 524-5234 with any questions.
For the last 2 years, as you know, we’ve had weekly walks on the Greenway. It’s a beautiful location with diverse habitats for birds, and we’ve had some wonderful sightings. To date we’ve seen 123 different species. (List attached.) The Greenway is one of Franklin’s treasures and deserves all our support.
Rita St. Clair has recently joined the Board of the Friends of the Greenway and has shared this information about how we can help:
GREENWAY WALKING TRAILS–HELP IMPROVE THEM
Did you know?
* All improvements including FROG Quarter operations, shelters, signs/benches/picnic tables, waterpark, dogpark, playgrounds, disk golf are funded by Friends of the Greenway (FROGS)
* Local government provides only maintenance to the Greenway
* Revenue comes from membership, the annual fundraiser, and small grants
* The annual budget is only approximately $23,000 dependent on annual revenue
* Friends of the Greenway, Inc. is a 501 (c) (3) non-profit organization. There are 2 paid employees who work at FROG Quarters running the coffee/gift shop–one works part-time and is grant funded from a Federal program for seniors and one works part-time at minimum wage paid from Friends of the Greenway budget. Note that lack of volunteers contributed to the need to pay from budgeted funds.
You can demonstrate your support by:
1) becoming a member of Friends of the Greenway–cost is $25 annually
(Send check payable to Friends of the Greenway and mail to 573 East Main St. Franklin, NC 28734. Include name, address, home phone, cell phone, email address with membership fee)
2) donating any amount to help sustain, improve, and expand the Greenway to the Community Recreation Park
Thanks–your support will be appreciated.
Rita St. Clair
Franklin Bird Club Representative to the Friends of the Greenway Board